An automatic standby generator is a back up electrical system that operates whether you are home or away. Within seconds of an outage, it automatically supplies power directly to your home’s electrical circuit breaker box. After utility power returns, the generator shuts itself off and waits for the next outage. It operates on natural gas, liquid propane gas or diesel and sits outside just like a central air conditioning unit.
Essential Circuit Coverage – The generator is paired with a transfer switch containing a predetermined number of circuits based on the generator’s kW power rating. Each circuit is directly connected to a matched circuit on the home’s main circuit breaker panel, providing electricity to that specific appliance or area of the home.
Managed Whole House Coverage – You can get more coverage with less generator, up to whole house coverage, by pairing a smaller generator with load managed options. This creates a managed power solution where non-essential circuits are shed when the generator approaches maximum capacity. They are cycled back on when essential circuits no longer require power, so all circuits receive power at different times.
Complete Whole House Coverage – Easily cover every circuit in your home by pairing larger kW units and the proper transfer switch to provide full coverage. No circuit is ever left uncovered, so every appliance is available every minute.
During a utility power outage, an automatic standby generator provides numerous advantages over a portable generator:
- The American Red Cross recommends permanently installed standby generators as a safer way to provide backup power to a home than a portable generator.
- With an automatic standby generator properly installed outside, your home is protected from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning that is a much greater risk with portable generators.
- Running on the home’s natural gas or LP fuel supply, it is less expensive to run than gasoline, is not subject to problems created by ethanol, does not require gasoline storage which goes stale over time and does not need to be refilled.
- They start automatically within seconds of a power outage, and eliminate the need to haul a portable generator outside or run extension cords throughout your home.
- They provide protection 24/7, whole home support, whether you’re home or away, and they turn themselves off when utility power returns, so there is no need to monitor the unit during an outage.
The engines! Air-cooled generators come with engines that use fans to force air across the engine for cooling, while liquid-cooled generators use enclosed radiator systems for cooling, similar to an automobile. Generally, liquid-cooled engines are used on larger kW generators due to the larger engines required for the higher power output. Liquid-cooled engines require less attention during power outages and have a longer life expectancy.
|8-22kW Air-Cooled:||22-50kW Liquid Cooled:||60-150kW Liquid-Cooled:|
|0.90-1.90 GPH||2.5-4.0 GPH||5.0-11.75 GPH|
(generator operating a 50% load)
Aluminum enclosures are naturally rust and corrosion resistant. For salt air or high humidity conditions, aluminum is highly recommended to ensure decades of worry free service.
Yes. Just like your car’s engine, generators need periodic oil and filter changes. NNG offers a variety of preventive maintenance plans. Our service fleet is fully stocked and ready to provide 24 hour emergency service. NNG has routine maintenance services providing a thorough system inspection to include:
- Oil & oil filter change
- Voltage and frequency inspection
- Safety shutdown testing
- Air Filter inspection
- Battery connections & acid level inspection
- Wiring, belts & hoses inspection
- General performance and operation inspection
Contact NNG Automatic Standby Generators to have a free in-home site survey and consultation performed to determine the appropriate generator, transfer switch and installation that meets your specific needs. Generators purchased from NNG are load tested to capacity prior to installation. This procedure allows for adjustments and tuning that ensures the generator functions properly and operates as designed at peak performance.