If 2017 taught us anything, it’s to prepare early for the unexpected. And Northern Neck Generator’s
Hurricane Preparedness Guide provides you with the information you need to get ready
for the upcoming storm season. Gain knowledge in planning for all scenarios that might arise with
the hurricane season, and make the right decisions when a potential threat of a storm
becomes a reality.
A basic emergency kit will help you keep your family safe and healthy in the event of a
disaster. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends having at
least two-weeks’ worth of the following supplies:
• Water, one gallon per person for both drinking and sanitation
• Food, non-perishables and a manual can opener for canned goods
• Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA weather radio,
• with tone alert and extra batteries for both
• Moist towelettes and garbage bags with plastic ties for
• personal sanitation
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• First-aid kit
• Whistle, to signal for help
• Wrench and pliers to turn off utilities
• Cell phone and portable charger
You may need to evacuate in the event of a hurricane or run a portable generator. Fill up your car or gas
tank before the storm hits to avoid long lines.
PREPARE YOUR HOME
Use hurricane shutters or board up windows and doors with 5/8-in. plywood and reinforce garage doors.
Bring in outside items if they can be picked up by high winds, and clear gutters of debris.
HAVE BACKUP POWER AVAILABLE
If you already own a portable or automatic backup generator, complete the necessary maintenance to
make sure the generator can function properly. If you don’t own a generator, consider purchasing one.
TRAVEL PLAN SECURED FOR PETS
• Pet kennel or carrier with familiar bedding
• Keep identification on pet at all times
• Pet Food (5-Day Supply) with Can Opener
• Water & Bottle
• Pet Toys
• Waste Bags
• Collar with Tags
• Food & Water Bowls
For more hurricane preparedness tips, visit www.ready.gov/hurricanes